Being prepared on the road can mean the difference between life and death, but many people assume nothing will happen to them and fail to equip themselves for emergencies. While modern cars usually feature spare tires, jacks, and tire irons, these items won’t be any help to you if you’re stranded in a blizzard or dealing with an overheated engine in the desert. The good news is, there are items you can easily keep in your car year-round that will help you survive the challenges the road throws your way. Read on to learn more!
A Good Flashlight
- Every car should have a bright, dependable flashlight. However, it’s not enough to simply have a flashlight. Think of the conditions in which you’ll be using the flashlight. You need a flashlight that is waterproof, very bright, and able to last for a long time. That way, you won’t have to worry about it shorting out or dying while you’re trying to get through an emergency.
- If circumstances or conditions have gotten you in trouble, chances are good that other drivers will get into trouble, too. Things get especially dangerous at night or in other circumstances with low visibility. If you’re stuck on the side of the road, you do not want unsuspecting drivers crashing into you. Make sure you are out of the way and well-lit.
A First Aid Kit
- We hope you already have a first aid kit in your car, but if you don’t, get one immediately. A good first aid kit will have a great selection of bandages, antibacterial ointment, gloves, medical tape, tweezers, and even a sling.
- Jumper cables are like the first aid kit: they’re an absolute must. If your battery dies and you can’t get your engine to start, you need jumper cables to get power from another car to get your ignition going. Many other drivers have jumper cables, but that’s no guarantee. Make sure you are the one with the cables. You might even be able to help another driver!
- Drivers in Colorado understand the importance of ice scrapers. People will say you can use a credit card to clear off your windshield, but credit cards are no match for the snow and ice of a Colorado winter. Many scrapers have brushes on them as well, which makes it easy to clear loose snow and attack thick ice.
A Good Multitool
- When we say good, we mean a tough multitool with a wide variety of screwdriver heads and hopefully a serrated blade. You may need your tool for tightening screws, sawing seatbelts, and beyond, and you want a tool that can handle the challenge.
At Metric Motors, we’ve learned that, if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. We are proud to play any part in keeping your vehicle running dependably and well for years to come. We provide everything from routine maintenance to specialized repairs. Contact us for car repair and maintenance in Loveland!